When not to massage (contra-indications)
There are times when it may not be appropriate to massage your horse or pony
Please check this list of symptoms and declare any that may be relevant.
• Extreme exhaustion
• New injuries (not yet seen by Vet)
• Cancer or Cushings disease.
• Strangles, tetanus or pneumonia
• Skin conditions for example: ringworm, lice, mange, boils, or an allergic reaction
• Colic attack
• Viral disease eg Equine Influenza
BUT if your horse has the following symptoms, the massage can be adapted:
• Identified injury
• Unhealed wounds
• Areas of inflammation
• Unrecognisable lumps
• Tumours, cysts, sarcoids,
• Bacterial infections
• Inflamed arthritic joints
This is not an exhaustive list and, if any doubt, consult a veterinary. If you, as an owner, are aware or suspect your horse is suffering from any of the above symptoms it is important that you please inform me prior to any treatment commencing.